In the information age, it is all too easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge available in regards to health, diet and eating properly. You probably want to eat better, but are also likely unsure where to start. Keep reading to learn the 5 foods to never eat and why, but also what you can replace them with.
1) Avoid white bread. Most households keep a loaf of bread around because it is so handy and versatile a foodstuff. However, this is a paradox, because despite being such a common food, it is also one that is among those with the least amount of nutritional value. It’s practically solid sugar and doesn’t keep you satiated for too long, so you wind up eating more.
Instead of white bread, use whole wheat or whole grain whenever it is a choice. Just switching to whole grains can lower cholesterol and even possibly the chance of breast cancer. If you want to take things a step further, then skip bread altogether and make your sandwiches out of lettuce wraps or use whole grain tortillas.
2) Forgo the fried foods. This seems like it’s common knowledge that most people know, and yet people also continue to eat fried foods rather often. It’s very difficult to eat fast food without encountering fried foods and yet fast food is something people usually do more than once a week.
Fried foods are not only nutritionally poor, but they also contribute to higher levels of both cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as irritable bowel syndrome. The danger is that people eat fried foods at home, thinking that cooking at home is healthier than eating out. Rather than fry anything at home, try to use recipes that focus on baking or broiling whenever possible.
3) Enjoy your salad, but don’t cream it. Cream-based salad dressings bring some badly needed flavor to salads, which are a must for weight loss and a healthy diet. A plate or bowl full of fruits, veggies, beans, nuts and seeds is a nutrition powerhouse that is also very lean on calories. However, cream-based salad dressings are high in fat and calories, and if you use enough, your dressing will have more calories than the salad itself and negate the benefits of eating it in the first place.
Salad dressings are a must for most folks, as the bland taste of salad alone is unsustainable and boring. Consider oil-based salad dressings instead, as they are far healthier. You can even experiment with finding your own taste by mixing oil dressings with salt and pepper and seasonings like oregano. Doing this can bring life to your salad without killing your body.
4) What can brown rice do for you? White rice is the most common form of rice used in cooking, but it’s a poor nutritional choice. For all intents and purposes, white rice is just a miniature form of white bread. It makes it harder for your body to shed extra weight, and you might be more inclined to store the empty calories, and this alone makes white rice one of the 5 foods to never eat.
Brown rice on the other hand comes with not only another color, but also fiber, nutrients and vitamins. While research is ongoing, there is early evidence that brown rice helps prevent heart disease, cancer and even asthmatic problems. Brown rice is sold practically everywhere that white rice is, so use it whenever you can.
5) Don’t get stuck on high fructose corn syrup. This sweetener is more common in processed foods than you might know. You can find it listed as an ingredient on anything from pasta sauces to sodas. While the scientific community is hardly at a consensus on how good or bad it is in itself, there is very little doubt that bodies exposed to high fructose corn syrup have their appetites and waistlines both boosted dramatically. There is even research suggesting this boosts triglyceride levels, which increases the chance of heart and pulmonary issues later in life.
Avoiding high fructose corn syrup is easy if you read labels. It does get hard in terms of desserts and beverages, specifically, though. In the case of desserts, it’s best to learn how to make your own. Fresh fruit with berries always works. In terms of beverages, you can opt for diet sodas and fruit juices, but diet sodas are controversial and risky in themselves, and fruit juices often have high sugar content.
Now that you have read this article, you know 5 foods to never eat, but also why and what to replace them with. Use this knowledge to clean up your diet, your health and eventually your life.